Welcome to the last day of the DecoArt ad Stampendous Blog Hop. I am really excited about my project for today. It’s something I’ve wanted to try for a long time, but never did. And now, I absolutely know I will want to make more! To get all the details on the hop, including prize info, please head over to the Stampendous! Blog.
ASCRS06: Andy Skinner Toxic Cling Set (Scratch stamp)
DWLJ883: Multiple Tile Grid Metal Stencil
ASCRS04: Andy Skinner Curiosity Stamp Set (Scroll stamps)
STF082: Onyx Black VersaFine Ink
Texture Sand Paste
Media Fluid Acrylics in: Prussian Blue Hue, Quinacridone Magenta, Green Gold, Primary Yellow, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Paynes Gray, Silver Metallic, Quinacridone Gold, Titanium White
Antiquing Cream in English Red Oxide
Mister in Black
Random found objects
Beacon Adhesives: Quick Grip Contact Cement
Artist’s Loft: 8×10 Canvas Board
I started off by just laying my assorted found objects on to my canvas. When I had an arrangement that I liked, I adhered them to the canvas with the Quick Grip Contact Cement. It dires quickly, so I then went over the objects with Gesso.
Then I started to play with some Modeling Paste, a stencil and stamps. I laid the Tile Grid stencil down and used a palette knife to apply the paste on top of the grid. I wasn’t too careful with it and kept it textured rather than very smooth. Then I spread some paste around the poker chip and little straws (those thin pink lines). I heat set the paste a little and pressed the Andy Skinner scroll stamps into the paste. I also went around the entire edge of the canvas board with Texture Sand Paste. I let this dry overnight.
Next, I mixed some Prussian Blue Hue with Tinting Base to lighten up the color and help it spread further. I applied it to the found objects and slightly beyond. Then I went in with Quinacridone Magenta, blending it a bit with the Prussian Blue Hue. I followed that with Green Gold. The color wasn’t as strong as I wanted because of it’s transparency, so I added some Primary Yellow and Cobalt Turquoise Hue.
After the paint dried, I used Antiquing Cream in English Red Oxide on top of the green areas to dull it down. I made a wash of Paynes Gray as well as a wash of Prussian Blue Hue and applied them to the blue areas to create depth.
Next I applied Metallic Silver all over, but I worked in small areas. I didn’t want the silver to be too heavy, so I kept a water spritzer nearby and misted some areas and then dabbed off the excess with a paper towel. This gave a nice texture to the paint. I used some dry brushing techniques on the found objects too.
After the silver dried, I added Quinacridone Gold by dry brushing it to the high points of the foun objects and the paste. I took my time with this to make sure it wasn’t too heavy or too light in any areas.
I opened my Black Mister bottle and tapped the straw to get a nice splatter all over the canvas. Next, I used Onyx Black VersaFine with the Scratch Andy Skinner stamp in random areas all round the canvas. I felt it needed something more, so I dipped a small brush into Titanium White fluid acrylic and splattered it all over.
When I look back at the photos, it’s hard to believe how vibrant the colors were originally! I like the dulled down metallic look of them now.
Above you can really see the dimension of my found objects.
I loved making this canvas, and my kids are inspired to make some now too. This was a lot of fun, and I look forward to experimenting more with these amazing paints and mediums. Thank you so much to DecoArt Media for supplying us with these fantastic products. Please be sure to visit the rest of the folks in the hop today. They are all listed below. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!