Hello! It’s time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you’ve got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we’ve had in my kids’ room for a while.
What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader’s) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren’t really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces.
The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that it’s easy to take the light saber out when those pesky rebels come and try to blow up your newest incarnation of the Death Star.
I started off by covering the PVC with DecoArt’s White Gesso. Once that dried, I stippled on Quinacridone Gold with a brush. I followed up with Prussian Blue and Paynes Gray next.
Then I layered some Crackle Paste. I kept it kind of thin, so my cracks were smaller. I was really just playing around with the paints and mediums, to see what results I liked. It’s fun to experiment like this!
Since my cracks were small, and I liked the way the paint looked before, I did the same stippling technique with the same colors as before. Was it unnecessary to do the original layer? Maybe….but again, I was just playing to see what I liked. And I knew I did want a deep color range under the cracks.
Next, I layered the PVC with English Red Oxide Antiquing Cream. After it dried to the touch, I rubbed a lot of it off with an old pillow cover. I decided I wanted a metallic sheen to parts of it, so I painted on some Metallic Silver Fluid Acrylic. I also rubbed on a bit of Carbon black.
At this point, I kept adding and taking away color, until I got the look that I wanted. You can see here that my end cap is pretty textured, where as the small piece I left fairly flat.
When I was happy with the pieces, I sealed them with Matte Varnish. Then I added some of the images from Andy Skinner’s Toxic stamp set with StazOn ink.
I only added stamped images to the cup piece. My son was thrilled with the way the pieces turned out, and I am really happy with them too. I had a blast painting them, and again, it’s great that it solved the problem of how to hang up his light saber. Below are all of the fabulous people that are sharing projects today. Be sure to stop by each of them for a chance to win prizes! Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!